Thursday, June 30, 2011

Last day of C4K 2011

Today was the final day for College For Kids and the big Musical Theatre performance.  They set it up differently this year - instead of trying to cram everything into a big, hectic "show" in the cafetorium, they allowed parents to come to all of the classes and the theatre department had a performance in the 'proper' auditorium - Musical Theatre and Acting.

Here's Peyton and Gracie getting ready on stage - I hope to post some video of the actual musical, but obviously, I will need Patrick's help figuring out how to do that sine I didn't tape it with my phone!  The show was called "Mighty Minds" and it was about a group of students with "standardized testing anxiety" and the superhero Mighty Minds who come to their rescue!  Peyton had several parts - my favorite being her "conga math" and "i before e, except after c....well, most of the time" parts!

We didn't stay for the Acting performance so Peyton could take us down to her "Cool Stuff for Your Room" class - her teacher was lovely!


They did all the big projects in the first 3 weeks and lots of kids weren't going to be in class today, so the teacher had them decorate 'name signs' - they put their name in the middle and then added words that described them all around - Peyton choose creative, caring, awesome, likes swimming, a peace sign, crazy, silly,...I chose dramatic, but she just rolled her eyes at me!  Grandpa Jan and Grandma Sue came to the performance and brough Maddie, their neighbor - she's 13 (or almost 14, as she told me!) and Peyton invited her to make a sign too, but at first she had to be too cool...but then she gave in and she was so cute deciding what words to use and sharing markers with Peyton.  It has to be tough getting older these days - there are so many rules and kids seem to be worried a lot more about how they are perceived...to the point where they won't have fun or do what they want because it might not be cool.  Keaton has no problem not being cool...he is an enthusiastic participant, no matter what!  I am sure Middle School will break him of that, but I am going to enjoy this last summer of his innocence!


So here they are walking out to the car, leaving campus for the last time...it's such a pretty campus for a community college...and it's small, which is why we choose this campus for their C4K experience.  This week is 4th of July, so no camp needed; next week is Keaton's World Series, so no camp needed, but then....da, da, daaaaaaaaaa....I have to figure out what the heck we are going to do on Mondays and Fridays.  I think I'll worry about that after tomorrow. 

Kids, I am proud of you for your independence, your creativity and your enthusiasm!  Thanks for the start of a great summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment