Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday...the way Saturday was meant to be!

Today is Saturday and that takes on an entirely new meaning when you have already had Friday off and know that you also have Monday off.  The kids and I spent the day at the pool yesterday - I am starting to get used to these Fridays!  Obviously the kids are starting to feel right at home there...
totally out in the sun after a big day of swimming and going off the diving board.  The place was pretty empty yesterday - not sure if most folks are taking a vacation because of the extra day off on Monday or what, but it was great.  We had the deep end almost to ourselves and played pool tag - we made a new friend, Shaw, he just yelled out "HEY, are you playing tag?  Can I play?"  I love that in a kid!  Somehow I was "it" most of the time - it was a great workout, I must admit! 

Murph had baseball practice last night and Peyton and I stayed home - she played a game involving horses, dolls of every size, paper plates and shoestrings of many colors - Peyton, I truly love your imagination!  We ordered pizza late, watched Madagascar, I went to bed - too tired to even attempt a bit of food tv and slept like a baby.

Got up on a mission to plant the flowers Peyton and I bought yesterday before it got too hot - up at 7:00, flowers planted by 8:00...but, I didn't get enough...I never get enough.  We've lived here over 5 years and I never buy enough flowers on the first trip.  I knew I didn't have quite enough - I had my heart set on 2 more rock rose plants and a couple of full-sun, drought-tolerant white flowers (which they didn't have at Wal-Mart), but I was way off!  So, 8:30 (after catching 30 minutes of the women's Wimbledon finals - go Petra) - off I went to Lowe's.  I did better on this trip, but still not quite there...no rock roses and no good white flowers...perhaps it was not meant to be for the summer of 2011?! 

I got home - everyone was up, the boys were off to run the track, Peyton was all settled in with a "Good Luck Charlie" and planted some more.  The boys got home and back out I went - stopped at Home Depot, another Wal-Mart, the Plant Shed - beautiful flowers, but oh my-oh-my-expensive! and then off to another Lowe's - mostly because Patrick needed lawn bags and I scored....still no rock roses or white plants, but look how pretty these are??? and ON SALE!

I don't think I've ever waited this long to get my yard in shape, but I also don't remember baseball eating up all of my weekends like it did this season.  We were supposed to have a tournament this weekend - I have never been so happy to not be playing!!!  It was hot as heck today - it was bad enough in the backyard with a hose and a house full of air conditioning, I might have had to go ugly at a tournament with no shade!

The kids both have a friend over tonight - we just cooked burgers and dogs on the grill, had lots of good fresh fruit and I believe we will attempt s'mores tonight if the siren song of sno-biz doesn't get the best of me!  Keaton, Patrick and Alex are playing wiffle ball (neighborhood rules) in the backyard...

...Peyton and Laurel are upstairs playing some game that apparently requires a lot of loud talking and occasional screaming...and really loud, heavy feet stomping!  Oh well, they are happy, I have the shopping done for dinner with mom tomorrow.  We're hitting the water park for a couple of hours in the morning AND I will still be relaxed when I drop mom off...because I have another day off on Monday!  Now, THIS is living!!!

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment