Saturday, July 23, 2011

I seem to have lost a week!

I have no idea if it was post baseball separation anxiety or the AYP conference or the heat or what, but a whole week seems to have gotten away from me. 

Sunday, I did just what I said I was going to do and got back to our routine - grocery shopping, house cleaning, picking up mom and Sunday dinner at the table.  It really was a nice day, but every day with mom is an adventure.  Her new habit is to spot anything colorful - old red pickup truck in a driveway, a sign on the side of the road, a flower, a red light, anything and say "every time I see that (fill in the blank), I know right where I am".  Now, in most cases the pickup truck or the small sign or the flower are not permanent objects, so we may never have seen them before or the red light is on a road we have never been on together.  I know she's just grasping at anything trying to find her memories, but it's sad....or it's frustrating....or it's annoying - it really just depends on what kind of day it has been, how long we have been together, what kind of mood she is in, are we on our way to an adventure or are we heading back to Meadowlakes...I try to pull out all my understanding and all my patience, but I fail.  I'm rarely ugly about it - but sometimes I'm ruder than I should be or quieter than I could be or less empathetic than I ought to be, and I hate that.  It's just sad that she is trying to prove she doesn't have Alzheimer's by saying things that emphasize that she has Alzheimer's!

I'm going to have to get back to this later - John Michael just headed off to the Butler/Jones compound to build a 'beer garden', so I don't feel compelled to hang around the house anymore and I have a list as long as my arm that needs taken care off.  Must take full advantage of a baseball-free Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment