Saturday, July 16, 2011

Letting go...

Today was a good day - a great day, even...but it was a day where some things that we have gotten really used to, were no more!

Today was the last day of the AAYBA World Series and possibly the last day of the Barons.  I think the boys will play together, but probably under a new name, with new colors (whatever will I do with all these royal blue tops???) and in a new league.  I am not opposed to change, but I am terribly attached to tradition - which is where this all gets tricky for my heart and for my brain...and probably for my family, because I think I am melancholy and I am positive I never explain it...I never explain any of my emotions, why start with something as silly as this!?

Anyway, here are a couple of pix from the last couple of days - Keaton played superbly at first base - I was so proud of you, buddy!  and although he didn't hit like he's used to - he had smart at-bats - and a triple that set my heart on fire!  The team held their heads high - they hung in there with some tough teams and considering what we've been through and how hodge-podge this WS team was - we were awesome!

Team rally after a great game!

Murph on first on Friday - the hottest day in the history of baseball - ironically playing against the Texas HEAT!  All dirt infield too...the sweat was a magnet for the red dirt - we were fabulous at the end!

Coach Patrick taking advantage of the shade and keeping i-score!

Murph up to bat in his final game as a Baron...sigh...

AAYBA medals for all!

Our team - back row:  Coach Boni, Evan, Jonathan, Garrett, Rhett, Murph, Coach Scott
front row:  Dalyn, Drew, Nick and Alex
not pictured:  Coach Todd, Trey and Mark


Of course, Keaton and Patrick were just not quite done with baseball, so although I had packed a perfectly good swim bag and we were driving right by the pool - they wanted to go and watch Alex and the Yard Dawgs game.  Peyton and I hate to see a good swim bag go to waste, so we headed off to Trophy Club for some cool water and a diving board.

We made good time, got our regular spot, swam in the deep end, played that game where we try and touch the bottom, swam in the shallow end, stood on our hands, hit the Pirate Ship, she did the slides, we played in all the spraying water features and the Miss was ready for lunch.  Off we went, lunchables and drinks and that weird squeezy applesauce for Peyton.  We were chatting and laughing and her tooth popped out - that tooth that has been loose for over 4 months, that we thought was coming out first the day before Mother's Day and then on Father's Day and without wiggling or pulling or complaining that it was bothering her - out it popped!

FINALLY!

Then we had to go back to all of the areas at the pool - because she wanted to make sure she did everything WITHOUT her tooth that she had done minutes before WITH her tooth!  We also did front and back flips and I made myself woozy - I mean, c'mon - how old am I???  I can get motion sickness from spinning myself in a pool?  Geez!

Everyone is spent - tired - lazy - a little sad (except Peyton, she really doesn't care at all that baseball is over and loosing a tooth means cold, hard cash from the Tooth Fairy!)  We all took naps, went to dinner, Peyton is at Gracies for a bit, the boys are playing home run derby on the PS 2 and I am sitting in the dark typing about being a bit sad that baseball is over...

Tomorrow, it's back to normal - hitting Central Market in the morning, CVS on the way to mom's, picking up mom about 1:00, Sunday dinner at home, baking cupcakes at some point and then taking mom home about 7:30.  Laundry, watering the flowers, a bit of weeding, catching up on some house cleaning that has been neglected, getting the kids back on a schedule...it will be good to relax and not be putting 100 miles on my car every day, I won't miss the intense heat or really bad hair or the ugly fact of wearing tank tops and shorts in public on a daily basis...but I will miss the joy of watching Keaton get ready for a game or a practice, putting on eye black, those long blue socks, the sound of the boys cheering in the dugout, the silent prayers every time one of ours was up to bat... heck, I'm even going to miss the routine of packing a cooler and the baseball bag!  

...big sigh...I can't even seem to sign off...it feels too final...oh well, thanks 2011 Spring Baseball, KYA, the Barons, Barons 2.0, AAYBA, Coaches, Parents, Siblings, friends, my blue chair and Chile-Lime sunflower seeds...I will miss you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment