Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A couple of good weekdays

Or should I say interesting?!  Yesterday, Peyton came to work with me for the morning.  She was a hit!  Fabulously cute outfit - right down to the sparkle flip flops and new headband - of course I forgot to take any pictures...we were on a mission!  She helped me get membership cards out of the storeroom, put some things in the courier and sort 424 water bottles for the branches!  She also made LT's day!  We saw him heading off for his run and she didn't recognize him because he has lost so much weight and is in such great shape...her words:  "He looks like a college student"...well, you know that story has been told a few dozen times around the Y!  The power of 9-year-old honesty!

I was so proud of how well she behaved - we had a couple of mishaps, but that just because she doesn't understand office politics (heck, either do I!)  Peyton, you were polite, you genuinely helped, you stayed positive, you did a great job of letting my co-workers fuss over you!  Thank you for a wonderful morning!

Today, more interesting...I sat in 3 meetings and left with that "things that make you go hmmmmm????" feeling.  Not sure what book I read it in, but recently I read a whole thing about the dangers of wanting to be right more than you want to be better....man, did I see a lot of that today!  Usually I enjoy the process of meeting, sharing, discussion...but today, I just wanted someone to put a pencil in my eye, so I had an excuse to run out!  The phrase "now there's 2 hours I will never get back" kept running through my mind!  I actually thought of my friend Andre, who I worked with in Lexington...we were in a meeting that was soooooo tedious and he wrote DNR on the bottom of my agenda...too funny!  That was me today.

But tonight, family saved the day!  Murph had baseball - he was hustling!  Making great catches, great throws, strong hitting, good attitude, lots of appropriate "Yes, Coach"'s!  Keaton, I adore the way you love baseball.  I like that you practice better in baseball pants and sliding shorts than you do in shorts and a t-shirt - even when it's 104 degrees outside!  I like that you remember every single good play you have ever made in a game.  I love that I never have to ask you twice to go to practice or a game.  I have really admired your improved work ethic this season - it's been a tough one and you have stayed positive...and I know that genetically you are designed to get emotional about things like that!

Hallelujah, Gracie is home and Peyton was able to spend the day with her - they are getting ready for a yard sale on Friday - so of course Peyton came home with all sorts of new/old treasures - her favorite being a silver pair of little girl high heels.  We put them to good use doing the spotlight dance during one of the commercial breaks of 'So You Think You Can Dance'!  If only America had been able to vote for us!!!  She also has a new/old American Girl doll named Katie - we braided her hair and she watched us play cards...
Go Fish!  I win at many games I play with Peyton - she got 'way more than he share of luck in the game department - I don't think in 4 years I have ever beat her at Trouble!  But I tore it up at Go Fish!  4 wins in a row!  Murph got home and played too - plain old cards at the dinner table...what a treat!  I did notice Keaton looking longingly at his i-Touch a couple of times...he's 12, that's to be expected!  But we made a simple memory tonight and I am always proud of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment