Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

The last day of a 4-day weekend ... ahhhhhhh!  Slept in, watered all the newly-planted flowers, played ball with Sophie, went to Hillwood with Keaton to walk/run the track - he ran, I walked (and nagged all at the same time...it burns extra calories!)

We took advantage of our day off and took in a matinee at the Dollar Movie - which is now $1.25, except on Mondays, when it's 75 cents!!!  Woo Hoo!  $2.25 for all three of us...and then $15.00 for popcorn and drinks...but what the heck - under 20 bucks for a movie for three!  We saw Rio - not too bad.  Very colorful, very dancy, very sweet - perfect happy ending (and I'm a happy ending kind of gal!), just enough people in the theatre and nobody had to get up in the middle and go to the bathroom...I never know quite how to handle that when it's just me and the kids - I hate to leave one of them alone or send one of them alone...dilemma!

Then we were headed home and I made a U-turn on 377 and headed right out of my comfort zone...off to buy fireworks for the kids outside the city limits!

visions of Deliverance...better known as Azle!  Once we got off the main highway, it was country, country - like back when we lived in Kentucky.  Peyton saw an artsy bird bath and thought it was some freakish outdoor toilet!  There were way more cars in the yards than on the road - just sayin'...and after about 4 wrong turns and turnarounds - we found the firework 'stand'

I had no idea there were so many different kinds of fireworks!
thank goodness for Jay, our fireworks cruise director.  He was so patient, not a salesman, pretty darned honest and accurate in his description of what we were getting ourselves into!  Peyton was totally set on buying the $50 Black Cat whatevers - things that can definately attrack attention and perhaps the police and probably put mom in need of some kind of tranquilizers!  Keaton just wanted anything that was in bulk - 20 of this, 50 of that - and the louder, the better!

ready to check out!  $31.00 worth of after sunset fun on Mount McKinley Road.  What I noticed after we got home and got them out tonight...they all had pretty girly names - LadyBugs, Spring Garden, Happiness Fountain, Cuckoo - they were pretty cool tho'!

We started with sparklers - just like every Fourth of July in my memory...
Followed by the girly named fireworks - this is a Cuckoo!

And it just wouldn't be the Fourth if our next-door-neighbor, Blake, didn't come out and set something on fire - here he is doing his best Harry Potter with a hand held bottle rocket - but it looked so much like Dumbledore using that contraption that took the light out of the street lights outside the Dursley's.

Here's our big finale - quite impressive if you ask me!  Peyton and I were hiding behind the car at this point...I had to run out to snap a picture, but only once I was sure it was safe!  I got hit in the leg by the errant Spring Garden second wave of flames earlier in the show - the flames didn't hit me, the cardboard casing hit me...but it flew at me!  Once I saw that I wasn't on fire, I was fine, but it made us more cautious!  Even hiding behind the car, a zipper shot straight at my head - that was it for Peyton - she was under cover for the rest of the fireworks!

Sophie, as it turns out, is NOT a fan of fireworks...they scared the poop right out of her - I mean it!  She pooped upstairs, locked us out of the house scratching at the door and turned the bottom half of the blinds upside down...and then ran from room to room to room to room once we all came inside.  She is settled down now, but I can tell she doesn't fully trust us right this minute!

I can't believe I have to go back to work tomorrow - that's the danger of great weekends - it's harder when they end.  Oh well, I'm going to look on the bright side and focus on the fact that it's a 4-day week!  As Peyton used to say - "Happy Jourth of Fuly Everyone!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment