Sunday, September 4, 2011

2-sport weekend

Saturday, August 27

Big sports day today for Keaton - football practice in the morning, then the first meeting and uniform fittings for his new baseball team right after.  He was feeling like a rock star when he woke up...and then...

 ...outdoor football practice in the crazy Texas heat.  This is the practice where they are starting to identify and split up the players based on A team and B team and not making the team.  The drills were interesting, the bleachers were miserable, it was really hard to see what was going on and the 8th graders were out there making the 7th graders nervous.  Funny to watch the comraderie of football players - even at this early age.  You can't really tell from the picture, but Murph is wearing #58 and he's the right side end guy facing away from my phone camera!

They had the guys in 2 teams later in the day running offense/defense running back drills.  It was pretty clear that the line closest to us was the "chosen" group.  Murph made a couple of great defensive tackles, but was less-than-impressive on offense...so he stayed in the back line throughout practice. 

Then they took the players to the back corner of the field to give them a pep talk (or whatever) and then they started the "Serpentine Drill"...oh.my.goodness....this was football torture, a let's-see-what-you-got drill that was almost hard to watch!  Started at the goal line - ran it, up/down, ran to the 5, up/down, ran the 5, up/down, ran to the 10, up/down....all the way to the 50, then they "just" had to run the lines to the other goal line.  I am sure I embarrased my son, but I was cheering him on - I knew he could do it, even if it didn't feel like he could and I knew he would regret giving up.  He was awesome!  I think the coaches noticed.

Sunday, August 28

As if yesterday weren't enough sporting activity for this family - today was Murph's first baseball practice and true to this Texas summer - it was brutally hot!

But you know Patrick and Keaton - if there is baseball involved - heat?  what heat?  besides, Murph had his new practice uniform and that trumps everything else!
 My new Dallas Patriot in his practice duds!

Sounds like they had a good practice - Patrick said it was miserably hot, but I knew that!  Peyton and I went to the pool. We took Gracie so Peyton had someone to do her synchronized swimming/gymnastics routines with and I could get one last day of sun.  I felt like I was truly on vacation.  I didn't have to pick mom up today - I knew I needed a break, so I went to see her Saturday morning and got her all set up for Sunday.  It was exactly what I needed.  The girls and I stayed at the pool until 2:00, we dropped Gracie off on our way home and Peyton and I got to be lazy the rest of the day!

Monday, August 29

Got an e-mail from the Patriot's team mom and the roster for the new Fort Worth club has been posted on their website...

always good to see your name in print...

No comments:

Post a Comment