Saturday, September 17, 2011

Poor Murph...

Wednesday, September 14

The day started in a panic.  Someone stole Keaton's lock yesterday in the locker room.  No big deal, right?  Well, it occured to Patrick that now his football gear and cleats are left unlocked and unprotected in his locker and the 8th graders might have stolen them...Keaton was a wreck!  Patrick got up early to help him with one last bit of algebra - some of these concepts are so awful...and, dare I say, useless...I know, I know, bad parenting!  But really, I NEVER use this stuff...I use a lot of math, but I never minus a negative...I don't have any plans to minus a negative...oh well, we will get him through this and he may end up an engineer or something...I'm cool with that - then he can minus a negative whenever he wants to!!!

Anyway, off we go to practice with him in a state of panic...not the best way to start the day...luckily I got a text 3 minutes after they opened the doors that all his stuff was safe and still there...and he has a brand new lock to keep it that way!  Yay!

About 10:00am I get a call from an unknown number - it's Keaton calling from the nurse's office - a big kid fell on his arm during practice and the buckle on their shoulder pads smashed into the underside of his elbow...OUCH!  He said it was fine, but he sounded so down....

I called Patrick to let him know and he told me that Murph had a rough practice - big kid falling on him, the coach thought the team looked lazy so they RAN!  and then Murph ended up in "Breakfast Club" - that's  football team detention - kids who have failing grades or a behavior issue...how did my son end up in Breakfast Club.  Keaton apparently did the work and didn't whine or complain, but when he walked by Patrick after practice he was "a ball of goo" and told him "Apparently, I'm failing history", put his head down and headed into the locker room....

Patrick ran home, checked Gradespeed and he's got a 98 in history, so he sent an e-mail to his Coach (who is also his History teacher) and they put the wrong Murphy in BC!  Poor Murph!  Patrick ran to Whataburger and grabbed them both lunch and pulled Keaton out of school and took him home to eat.  He needed that.  Then Coach Stitt pulled him aside and apologized for the mix up and praised him for doing the work and not complaining.  But oh my goodness...what a day for a 12-year-old!

I took the kids to Chili's for dinner - we had a coupon!  Peyton decorated a St. Judes pepper pal, she also made a play date with a new friend over the phone...big accomplishment for her!  Our server was unusual and very nice - Keaton loves unusual!


 Super Hero Pepper (and very strong Peyton!)

We also took her new animal erasers to dinner...they go most places we go these days!

All in all, it was a good ending to a tough day for my boy...let's just ignore those "oh, my arm" excuses to not help feed the dog or pick up his shoes or be nice to his sister!  We never give out excuses for bad behavior, but I was probably nicer when I called him on it, because he really had had a tough one!

Thank goodness, tomorrow is a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment