Saturday, September 10, 2011

HMS Mini School

Wednesday, September 7

Tonight was "mini-school" at Hillwood Middle, so it was me and the kids.  The idea is you spend an hour following your child's day - start at their 1st period class, hear from the teacher (or coach, in our case), have 3 minutes to find their next class and so on...sounds good to me!

We started in the gymnasium and Coach Stitt lived up to his reputation as a man of few words and no nonsense - he spoke for about 2 minutes and then we went to check out the locker rooms...ugh!  the smell was so dirty-gym-sock it nearly knocked me back at the door...but Murph was proud to show off his locker.
 I was surprised he had a lower locker - that usually brings complaints from my tall children, but I hadn't heard about it...I think he is just so proud to have made the team!  Lower locker, upper locker, gym bag tucked in a corner - whatever!!!
How disgusting is this?  creepy, smelly, messy, disorganized...this, to me, is a preview of his car or at least his trunk once he is driving!!!

Off to 2nd period - ART!  The quietest teacher on the planet ... perhaps!  She mentioned quietly about the power point that was running and that was it.  Keaton did show me his work folder and his shading work... but she never said another word...
A work in progress, but very cool - I love his artistic side!

I must admit, that was the last picture I took - the other teachers had presentations and hand outs and great information for us, so I just forgot!

3rd period - Pre-AP Algebra, Mr. Birt

I like him!  Very math-teachery, but clear, concise, helpful - but they're 7th graders, so they need to ask - not you and not me - they need to ask! 

4th period - AP Science, Ms. Burns

She's high energy, fun, "not a homework kind of teacher" (yay!) and their first lab involved gummy bears.  What can be wrong with that?!  Keaton likes her too...Peyton was a bit overwhelmed by her!

5th period - Texas History - Coach Stitt

Once again, no nonsense, but obviously passionate about Texas History and being a teacher.  I really liked what he had to say, I know Murph likes him and his class...should be good!

6th and 7th periods - AP English, Ms. Chapman

She's my favorite.  Great classroom atmosphere, loved the way she is teaching them about writing.  Seems geniunely nice and caring and understanding. 

I think this is going to be a great 7th grade year for my boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment