Saturday, August 20, 2011

Toddlers and Tiaras

August 2011

Peyton has found a new obsession - Toddlers and Tiaras - a show on some cable channel about pageants for children, usually 0 thru 11 or 12.  The first show I watched was so disturbing because of the grown woman competing in the 10 and over category...I don't think that's how that was inteneded, and she WON!  The moms range from crazy to sweet to redneck to big ole TEXAS.  The little girls are adorable - and pretty savvy when it comes to the whole pageant thing.  Watching them scream while getting spray-tanned bothers me and listening to the mommys talk about the thousands of dollars they are spending on "glitz" dresses, when from the looks of their living rooms and vehicles may be outside their budgets makes me nuts.  But we have had fun watching and we may even try to go and see a pageant this fall. 

Right now, Peyton thinks she wants to be in a pageant, but maybe she just wants the pretty clothes and the crown!  I guess if even after she is back in school and involved in volleyball and she still wants to try it - we'll go see one and I'll figure it out.  I fear those pageant moms will have me for lunch and I always worry about sending the wrong message about what is important for a young lady, but I was in Junior Miss way back when and I was so happy when my mom let me enter and took me to buy my dress for the formal wear part - it was so beautiful.  No dazzles, but it was lavendar and pleated and elegant and I loved it.  So, we'll see...until then, she can wear her princess crown and pretend and practice to her heart's content!

No comments:

Post a Comment