Friday, August 26, 2011

Not just your average Sunday

Sunday, August 21, 2011 (continued)

Sundays in our world mean Sunday Dinner with my mom.  The entire family hit the Trophy Club pool for one of our last swims of the summer, so everyone was a bit pooped - but Sunday Dinner must go on!

I had been to the store early early in the day for all the stuff to make homemade Macaroni & Cheese and another DCGBC (Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake) - at the request of my entire family!

I love to cook, but I have NEVER made macaroni and cheese start to finish before - I can't believe what I was missing - this one has gruyere, white cheddar (I'll have to change that next time - it "wasn't the right color...I'm not eating that" for Peyton" - so yellow sharp cheddar will have to do) and parmesan.  The sticker shock of the cheese purchase nearly did me in...don't ask...but this really caught my eye on Cooking Channel....so all those great cheeses, thick cut bacon, beschamel, elbow macaroni and then topped with panko mixed with the bacon fat and MORE parmesan cheese....heavenly!  And you make it all in an oven safe skillet (except for the pasta that you have to cook to al dente in a big other pot!)

Check it out - ready to go into the oven...delightful!

Peyton had just finished her fashion show and wanted to be my best helper for the DCGBC.  She is so confident in the kitchen - not afraid to try anything and stays pretty focused...she's messy and I'm uptight, so that doesn't always work, but I'm trying to relax and she tries to get the ingredients IN the bowl more often than just around the bowl!
 Patting the cakey crust into our new baking dish
 Breaking the eggs into the cream cheese, cocoa powder mixure
Mixing up the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cream cheese, butter, eggs and vanilla...I love my Kitchenaide stand mixer!

My mom had a good day today - she got entertained by the fashion show (which lasted nearly an hour), she got to taste the cake batter, the homemade whipped cream and the bacon for the mac & cheese and she got lots of lovin' from Sophie!  Sophie brings her toys, asks mom to play tug, climbs in her lap and randomly jumps up to give her kisses!

Mom & Sophie!

So the fashion show is over, dinner is over, the dishes are done and now it is time to prepare in earnest for the first day of school.  Peyton has made a list and every time we accomplish something - she crossed it off...no exceptions, once something is done on the list, we must stop what we are doing and cross it off...
 Please notice the feather in her hair - I did go back and paint the bead brown so you can't see it, but check it out - we did it ourselves and she was so pleased.  After 5 or 10 minutes admiring it in the mirror, here is Peyton crossing that off her list!!!
And here is the list - something I want record of, because she is so sweet and so wonderful and so my daughter and although it had not been crossed off (she had her feet up drying) we did accomplish the pedicure and once we were upstairs we sprinkled magic pixie dust around the beds and on the pillows just like we do every year the night before the first day of school!

I am so proud of my 4th grade girl and my 7th grade boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment