Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Who Needs a Gym?

The red room - formal living room, the front room (that's a blast from my past!), the computer room - whatever you call it - it is Peanut's go to room for gymnastics and dance.  The hardwood floors make it perfect for dance - especially turns, and the big open space makes it work for gymnastics.  And yesterday afternoon - so did the couch cushions!

Her tumbling coach told her she needed to completely change up her hand placement to get her back handspring and it's really hard to unlearn something you've taught yourself and been doing for over a year...so here is his trick:





It will be easiest to make the change if you have a little extra time - so start on something a bit higher than where you will be landing.  My heart usually jumps in my chest a bit when I come into the red room and find a configuration like this - many times for good reason.





But not this time - just set your feet right and your hands will fall right in the hole (well, not MY hands...her hands...if I tried this, I'd be in traction).

And then you're all set to finish strong.  hands perfectly pointed in the right direction.  I feel the handspring is 10 days away.  I know she can do it - it's just landing it the first time without a hand at her back.  Then she'll be on to conquering something else.  I just hope there is enough red room for her next challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment