Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sports EKG



Now that I know everything is normal, I can write about this....Peyton had to have a Sports EKG today in order to get the doctor to sign off on her athletics physical for cheer and athletics next year.  WHAT????  My mom's history made it necessary and Cook Children's and a great big grant made it free.  But I was freaked out.  I know I said before, I really am and "better safe than sorry" parent.  But that doesn't change the fact that I was fearful.  What might they find?  How would that change our lives?  Maybe unknown isn't so bad after all!!!

I picked her up from school a bit early - wanted to avoid rush hour traffic and be the first ones there for the 2:30-4:00 appointments.  Made great time, found a sweet parking space, made our way to the Dodson Heart Center, signed in, signed forms and waited.  In the cutest waiting room ever!  And waited.  Once it was our turn, the EKG itself took less than 5 minutes.  The tech couldn't/wouldn't tell us anything.  They have to send it to the doctor.  She was nice enough to say that there was nothing that made her think she needed to call the doctor or send us for more tests.

So we drove home - made good time again - YAY! picked up Murph, stopped for celebratory Race Trac drinks and came home.  The phone rang as soon as we were in the door - all is well!  EKG is normal!  Athletics physical is signed off on!

We saw 2 children (one about Peyton's age) in wheelchairs with tubes in their noses.  We saw all the special places and information and donor walls and amazing staff who set the tone for Cook Children's and it was all I could do not to drop to my knees and say thank you right there in the corridor.  Peyton asked me after we got in the car if I was all right...and I told her yes.  I reminded her that we are blessed.  And I got all choked up for the children who aren't all right.  I hope this makes it easier to not whine or complain or get ruffled about things that are trivial.  To choose to smile or offer a kind word or an offer to help.  And I will continue to be thankful for my 2 beautiful, healthy, "normal", athletic children.

No comments:

Post a Comment