Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dessert Nachos

I had a head cold all week, so I put the slow cooker to good use last week.  It is easier than any other form of cooking and as long as I spray the inside with cooking spray before I begin, the clean up is pretty sinch-y too.

Friday was carnitas day...and the smell was divine!  Maybe it was because it was the first thing I have been able to smell in a couple of days or maybe it was because I adore carnitas more than any other food that I can make at home.

Anyway, I fell into a Mexican feast mode...zesty orange cilantro rice, homemade guac and pico and this delightful giant bowl of carnitas with tortillas (both kinds as I am a sucker for corn and the rest of my family is flour all the way!)

Dinner was sublime, but my sweet tooth was calling....what to have.  Ice cream?  Nope, not feista-enough.  What had I seen on tv earlier in the week....Dessert Nachos!  That's it and behold!  I had all the necessary ingredients in the house.



Biggest problem - our oven is not working.  We have burners and the broiler, but no oven.  I have you-tubed how to repair it, but we have to wait until Patrick has an entire day off to fix it...this one is too big for my repair britches. 

No worries...I can broil with the best of them.  And these nachos were calling my name.

Here's what I used:
for the 'chips'
1/2 stick of butter
1/3 c of sugar
1 T cinnamon
6 flour tortillas
for the whipped cream topping
1 c heavy cream
1 t vanilla
3ish T confectioner's sugar
for the chocolate sauce
1 c milk chocolate chips and one Hersey bar classic
2 T heavy cream

Here's how I did it:
Make your whipped cream first:
Use a hand mixer to whip 1 c heavy cream until it starts to form peaks, add vanilla and confectioner's sugar and whip until it forms soft peaks (if you go too long, you'll get something more like butter, which is NOT what you want!)

Now put your choc chips and 2 T of heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and unwrap the Hershey bar (or more chips if you have them...we ran out, thus the Hershey bar!)

Then get ready to make the "chip" part
Melt 1/2 stick of butter
Mix together sugar and cinnamon
Cover sheet pans with foil
Preheat broiler (I left my racks in the second from the top position for better control)
Brush tortillas with butter on one side
Sprinkle liberally with sugar/cinnamon mixture
Place under broiler until the tortillas start to bubble and get a little crisp

Take the pan out, flip the tortillas, repeat the butter, sugar/cinnamon thing on the other side and place back in the broiler.

If you can multi-task, go ahead and work on your chocolate sauce while broiling.  Put the chips and heavy cream in the microwave for 15 second bursts.  It took me 3 times to get it where I wanted it.  I added the Hershey bar pieces (you can add extra choc chips) at the end to get it to the consistency you like your sauce.

Once the tortillas are the crispness you like (about 4 minutes each side for me...I am sure this would work in a 450 oven as well if your oven is working!), cut them into triangles, top with chocolate sauce and whipped cream.  Then you can sprinkle with any remaining cinnamon/sugar you have left.

I think it would be cute to add bits of strawberry to mimic 'tomatoes' for the chips - I am sure we will try that this summer.  Mini marshmallows would be fun, sprinkles, chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips...whatever you've got around the cupboard.


No comments:

Post a Comment