Thursday, February 20, 2014

Mermaid hair

Today's the day - Peyton's drama performance at school.  She is a mermaid - one of the three "Singing Sea's".  I mended the costumes - her's got extra attention!  I helped her rehearse her lines.  I taught her the tune to "Good Night Ladies" and now, I'm helping her get mermaid hair.

Her teacher/director wants the girls to have curls.  Peyton is lucky to get waves.  And it's a gloomy, boarderline rainy, windy day.  For me - that would be perfect.  I would have the biggest, curliest, mermaidiest hair in town.  But for my straight-haired girl - not a recipe for success.

I tried to get her to settle for the french braid waves...nope!  She wants curls.

So last night AFTER cheer, we started.  She showered, cutting way down on the conditioner.  We towel dried.  And we put in curl sticks.





Perfectly combed, sectioned off, lots of attention to detail - in the hopes of achieving curls and not frizz or George Washington hair!  Our first attempt at curlers actually made her look like on of those old powdered wig men in Bicentennial paintings!  Definitely NOT mermaid hair.

She had to sleep on them - and she was a trooper.  Drum roll please.....




Before comb out - not bad...I did have to recurl one of the side pieces with a curling iron - the side she slept on must have come out at some point in the night.


We spritzed them with hairspray.  We pulled the two top front sections up into a bump, we spritzed them again and now we pray.  The weather, her fidgeting, the activity in today's PE class, the wind at pick up time - all of these will determine if we still have curls at curtain time. 

I have faith and a curling iron - just in case.  Either way - she will be the cutest mermaid ever seen on the PHIS stage tonight.  My girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment