Saturday, January 4, 2014

Farewell Twinkly Lights...2014

...I must admit I am excited about this new year.  I have lots of plans, thoughts, challenges, opportunities and adventures to explore.  With that comes the daunting task of organizing my life.  My priorities.  My home....UGH!

Last night I started the dreaded dismantling of the Christmas decorations.  Each year I get better and better at it, but it drains my spirit.  I believe with all my heart that the world looks better in twinkly lights.  Especially in the winter months when it is dark so early and we want to stay home with our hands wrapped around hot mugs of tea, cocoa and coffee, sitting in front of the fire. 

I had planned to wait until my husband and right-hand-man was home.  He is practical about things like this where I am not.  He is strong.  He is efficient.  He is not the least bit interested in delaying the task to wax poetic about the history of an ornament.  As with so many other things - he makes me better.

Regardless, I found myself with time on my hands and not being one to sit and relax until mom has retired for the evening, I opened the closet under the stairs where Harry Potter does NOT live and dragged out the boxes. 

I made great headway - the ornaments and garlands off the main tree.  The dough ornaments lovingly wrapped and down from the banister garland.  The Santa's wrapped and boxed.  This year's handmade paper chain down and into the recycle bin. 

Somewhere atop a kitchen chair trying to finish taking down all the kitchen decorations, my legs started to ache, my tummy felt woosy, my head didn't throb, but it threatened.  I was done-in!  I am sure (after a good night's sleep) that I stopped just short of taking down the twinkly lights.  I guess I needed one more evening in their glow. 

The kids and I found a couple of episodes of "Monk" that we haven't seen yet, scooped up some ice cream and sat for one last cozy evening in the twinkly sparkle of the tree and the mantel. 

I have made more progress this morning - trees upstairs have been stripped, the snowmen are down and the bookcase is getting back to it's practical functions.  The boxes, cartons, tubs and various baskets and the sleigh are making their puzzle-fitted way back into the closet.  Still much to do, but as long as I finish before dusk - I will sit contently in candlelight this evening and start looking forward to next year's Christmas glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment