Friday, March 21, 2014

Let's Dance!

Yesterday was Peyton's very first dance competition.  I remember the day she tried out for Comp Team.  We were both nervous!  And yet, I knew she'd make it.  And she did.  She ended up on Junior 1.  There've been some changes this year - one of the girls quit in the middle of the season - right after the Christmas parade in Keller.  Of course that meant they had to reblock all their dances. 

Little by little the costumes have been showing up at the studio - Peyton's favorite thing in the world.  They got 2 beautiful costumes this year and a hand-me-down that I'm not that crazy about.  Apparently the one they decided on got snatched up by another team...which is a bunch of nonsense to me, but it's not my studio. 

So the big night is here and it's an hour's drive away.  Of course we get lost - I Map Quested instead of using my Navigation on my phone.  A panicked call to Jeneva and some directions from her husband and we made it on time.

There was a specific competition hairstyle that we did right after school, make up that was started in the car and finished once we got there and then the costumes.  There is pressure in making sure you have all the stuff - the right tights, an extra pair, the fishnets, all the shoes, the competition jewelry, the hair pins, the hair spray, the butt tape, the makeup, the false eyelashes - good heavens!

No parent meeting can prepare you for competition.  You just have to overpack and pray for the best.  The girls were magnificent.  They danced beautifully, the scored gold and high gold.  I brought too much stuff, but I learned and we did better on the next one. 

 Helping Miss Victoria with her stage eye makeup
 Red, Red, Red lips are a must!
 Cynthia was fascinated watching Peyton put on her makeup
 Beautiful girl
 stretching, practicing, run through in the hallway
 off to perform their very first competition dance
 Victoria and Peyton in their tap costumes
 My girl after a wonderful performance - she lights up the stage!
Medals!

No comments:

Post a Comment