Saturday, March 15, 2014

Father / Son Time

In this new time of responsible spending, I have become somewhat of an expert on when to buy and when to make.  For instance - we bought pizza last night - $5 faves are cheaper than most good frozen pizzas and much cheaper than make-it-yourself pizza.  Even my favorite french bread pizza recipe - which I deem to be a Bargain (notice the capital B?) is more expensive than 2 $5 faves when you have 5 hungry people and aren't planning any sides.  So we bought.  Chick-fil-A chicken nuggets - a no brainer!  I make them.  I can feed my entire family for the price of 2 of their nugget meals, drinks included.

Anyway, now that we were able to finally save up for a new TV for the upstairs, we were able to move the tiny TV into Murph's room so he can play video games and not displace the entire household.  Or the kids can watch their shows.  Occasionally, he can fall asleep to noise on those days when he needs some noise to fall asleep to.  And on days when they just can't muster any more patience to deal with mom - they have a place they can escape to and watch a movie.

Now, my Responsible Spending Logic says - I can buy a TV stand online cheaper than we can make one.  But that's when you are only factoring in wood and nails. 

My husband has always been good with wood and tools - I think he gets it from his Grandpa Carl.  And he enjoys the work.  And this week he got to share it with our son.

They planned it all out on paper - sketches, measurements, angles (it was pretty exciting to make Murph realize he HAD to use geometry in a regular day-to-day situation!).  They shopped for wood.  They used the saw, the drill, the hammer, the sander, wood glue, nails, screws.











And they spent time together laughing and learning and "rockin' out" and in the end - they had more than a new TV stand.  They had a story.  They shared an experience.  They created something together that they will remember forever.  I'd say that knocks Responsible Spending Logic right out the window!



No comments:

Post a Comment