Sunday, August 25, 2013

Motivated

Keaton is playing football again this year and in the great tradition of school athletics he is expected to fund raise.  For the past 3 years we have sold the Texas Ranger coupons and the Big Kahuna cards.  I have done the majority of the selling.  Both of them were a good deal for the people I know - 4 free Texas Ranger coupons on the one and 99 cent Route 44 Sonic drinks any time of day on the other.

This year - the big freshman year - he is selling Central Charger coupons - coupons for restaurants, oil changes, etc. for $20.  Every player was expected to sell 10 coupons.  And, in the great tradition of public school fundraisers - there were incentives for the number of coupons sold.

My son is motivated by incentives - stuff, to be more exact!  At 20 coupons sold, he could get a Charger football hoodie and at 30 a pair of headphones that are supposed to be cool...like I know cool - I am an ear bud fan!

My son, my kind of reserved son, my "if there is a way to get my mom to ask so I don't have to" son went door to door in our neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods and sold 30 coupons before the deadline.  He and his sis went out the first day - totally organized and then Patrick took him out when he ventured beyond where he could walk or ride his bike.  He was relentless - he went every evening that we had time, on his own, no reminders, no prompting from us.  It was awesome!

Patrick said he was polite, respectful, looked people in the eye, didn't take it personally when someone said no, said a genuine thank you when people said yes, stood tall, had a goal and HE ACHIEVED IT!

He earned his incentives, he made us so proud, he made himself proud and I think he learned a valuable skill that will serve him the rest of his life.  Love my boy!  Love that he is growing into such a wonderful young man!

No comments:

Post a Comment