Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas 2013

Spent last night thinking of Christmases past - all the old shopping trips to Lazarus in the Lima Mall for that one perfect splurge of a Christmas ornament with my mom, going to craft shows with Peyton to pick out something handmade and adorable, picking the kiddos up on the last Friday before Winter Break to find amongst the candy wrappers and bits of ribbon and an occasional swipe of frosting, the ornament they made during their Holiday Party, sitting at the kitchen table on the years when I am organized painting or making ornaments with the kids.

My holiday ornaments tell a story - I have one decoration from 1965 or 1966, I have several ornaments from these kits you could buy at Woolworth and paint or paste, I have a couple of yarn dolls I made from a craft book and this poor Santa on a rolled up piece of cardboard cut from a manilla file folder (since I didn't have a styrofoam cone) with a wobbly head.  All of these are from my childhood - probably before I was in high school.




I have these (adorable if you are me, creepy if you are my husband) Annalee dolls that my mom used to LOVE!  I remember the first one she bought - a Santa and Mrs. Claus and she would pick them up and smile at them all through that holiday season.  As soon as I got my first job - I would try and find a new one to get her as a Christmas present.  They are all in my kitchen now - looking down on me as I cook or do dishes. 



I have all the ornaments I have made, all the ornaments my friends have made, all my dough ornaments and I have my angel.  I think of her as my Dar Angel.  Soon after I met my now mother-in-law, we found out we had a love of crafting and she taught me to make this beautiful angel.  I remember sitting together, burning our hands with hot glue and covered in Spanish moss until we both had creamy white angels with grapevine wings.  Mine has been on the top of my Christmas tree ever since.  I don't really know if it's a big deal to anyone else or not - but she is really special to me. 

I must admit - I love the fact that all this nostalgia comes wrapped in tiny white lights!






No comments:

Post a Comment